Company: City of Green River
Location: Green River
Posted on: September 15, 2023
Under general direction, perform civil engineering design, review,
and construction inspection work and serve as Project Engineer.
- Reports to the Director of Public Works.
- Exercises technical and functional supervision over lower level
City Development Services staff and project contractors.
EXAMPLES OF IMPORTANT & ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The following functions & duties are typical for this position.
Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be
required to perform additional or different duties from those set
forth below to address City needs and changing business
Prepare and design projects; prepare construction plans and
specifications; make preliminary and final estimates of work and
Prepare bid documents.
Assist in the review of new project plans and specifications.
Establish grades for streets, curbs and gutters, alleys, and other
paving projects, sewer lines, water lines, facilities, and similar
Plot profiles; prepare maps and plans.
Provide information to contractors regarding requirements of codes,
ordinances, specifications, and plans.
Design a variety of structural and pipeline projects.
Design, supervise, and inspect the construction of streets, sewer,
and water lines, lift stations, curbs and gutters, sidewalks, and
other public works and utilities construction projects.
Perform routine field surveys to verify compliance with
construction plans, to develop base maps, to develop as-built
drawings, and provide for construction control.
Act as project engineer on construction jobs and conduct field
inspections of projects; make such changes for established grades
as field conditions warrant; ensure that designs meet engineering,
legal, and regulatory standards.
Perform routine material tests and schedule contract materials
Review contractors' estimates and requests for payment; assist the
Public Works Director in policy and procedures development, and in
Perform technical engineering design by calculating distances,
ties, angles, traverses, and closures; plot cross sections and
earthwork; gather and tabulate statistics in connection with
Prepare reports of inspections, construction progress completions,
and other reports as required; maintain reports and records of
activities; prepare preliminary pay estimates for construction
Establish and verify street and utility grades; compile
specifications for project construction.
Perform drafting duties including preparation of topographical
maps, construction drawings, and facilities locations; use
AutoCAD/Civil 3D for drafting functions.
Coordinate with other departments on GIS system.
Prepare spreadsheets and databases; represent the City on boards as
Perform related job duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Current principles, techniques, and practices of civil and
related engineering, planning, design, and construction.
- Pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes, regulations,
and departmental policies governing the construction of assigned
- Engineering plans and specifications.
- Principles and concepts of land surveying.
- Occupational hazards and safety practices necessary in the area
of public works maintenance and inspection.
- Principles and practices of engineering construction
- AutoCAD/Civil 3D and ArcINFO and other related software and
- Mathematical principles including algebra, geometry, and
- Modern office practices, methods, and computer equipment.
- Principles and procedures of recordkeeping.
- Safe driving principles and practices.
- Operate a wide variety of equipment and tools used in land
- Use engineering and office instruments and computers including,
but not limited to, engineering software and survey equipment.
- Operate a wide variety of equipment and tools used in
engineering construction inspection.
- Operate a motor vehicle safely.
- Observe and practice safe driving principles.
- Review and analyze construction plans, specifications, and maps
for conformance with City standards and policies.
- Perform design projects effectively, efficiently, and in a
timely manner to result in desired end products.
- Apply laws, regulations, codes, and departmental policies
governing land surveying.
- Design projects effectively and efficiently and according to
approved standards and procedures.
- Prepare and maintain accurate and complete records.
- Detect undesirable work results in a timely manner through
- Prepare clear and concise technical records and reports.
- Read and interpret engineering specifications.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and harmonious working
relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Prepare record drawings in a timely fashion.
- Minimum of (2) two years of professional engineering
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering required. Masters Degree
preferred.License or Certificate:
- Possession of a Professional Engineer's license is highly
- An Engineer in Training certification is required if the
employee does not have a Professional Engineer's license.
Professional Engineer status must be achieved within two (2) years
- Possession of a valid driver's license.
Essential duties require the following physical skills and work
Ability to stand, walk, sit, climb, crouch, kneel, crawl, twist,
stoop, squat, and to lift 50 pounds; exposure to cold, heat, noise,
outdoors, vibration, confining work space, explosive materials,
mechanical hazards, and electrical hazards. Ability to travel to
different sites and locations.
Applicants who are offered employment are required to pass a
comprehensive background investigation, job-related physical exam,
drug screening test and driver license check. The City of Green
River is an EEO/ADA employer and a smoke-free workplace per City
Keywords: City of Green River, Vernal , Engineer, Engineering , Green River, Utah
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!